- Urinary tract infection
- Enlarged prostate
- Recent surgery/anesthesia
- Taking certain decongestants/antihistamines
- Taking certain bladder spasm medications
- Delaying voiding – causing the bladder to distend
What to do:
- Try sitting in a tub of warm water to relax the muscles that aid in urination.
- Take prostate medications as prescribed by your doctor or urologist.
- If you’re using decongestants/antihistamines, discontinue their use.
If you are completely unable to urinate (making you very uncomfortable to say the least), we can provide relief by placing a catheter in your bladder at our office during business hours (8:30 am to 5:00 pm, Mon. – Fri.). If you experience urinary retention after-hours or on a weekend or holiday, please go to the nearest emergency room.