Treating an Enlarged Prostate With Rezūm Water Vapor Therapy
Benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) occurs when a man’s prostate swells, which puts pressure on the urethra and prevents urine from passing. It is a common urological condition that affects about 50% of men by age 60, and up to 90% of men by age 85.
But just because BPH is inevitable as you age doesn’t mean you have to live with it for the rest of your life. Rezūm Water Vapor Therapy is a minimally invasive procedure for men looking to treat their enlarged prostate. This non-surgical treatment uses the natural energy stored in water vapor to remove the excess prostate tissue that is pressing on the urethra.
Keep reading to learn more about the benefits of Rezūm Water Vapor Therapy and how this innovative treatment is used to treat benign prostatic hyperplasia.
What is Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia?
The prostate is a walnut-sized gland located between the bladder and the penis that is responsible for secreting fluid that nourishes and protects sperm. Benign prostatic hyperplasia is a non-cancerous enlargement of the prostate gland that frequently occurs in men as they age.
As the prostate enlarges, it presses against the urethra and can block the bladder, causing uncomfortable symptoms. Known as lower urinary tract symptoms (LUTS), the symptoms associated with BPH can cause men to have trouble urinating. These include:
- Frequent or urgent need to urinate, especially at night
- Difficulty urinating or a weak urinary stream
- Needing to push or strain to urinate
- Starting and stopping during urination
- Significant dribbling at the end of urination
- Inability to completely empty the bladder
- Having to urinate again shortly after urination
If you are experiencing any of these BPH symptoms, see a urologist as soon as possible. They will be able to diagnose your condition and recommend the best option for treating your enlarged prostate.
Traditional Treatment Options for BPH
There are various surgical, as well as minimally invasive, enlarged prostate treatment options that your urologist may recommend depending on your symptoms and how severe they are. Traditionally, the four main treatment options for BPH have included:
- Active surveillance: Through regular checkups, your urologist will monitor your symptoms closely and look for any signs that your BPH is progressing. If your condition worsens, they will move forward with other treatment options.
- Alpha-blockers: A common medication for BPH, alpha-blockers work by relaxing the prostate and bladder muscles to improve urine flow. However, although these drugs are effective at alleviating symptoms, they don’t actually reduce the size of your prostate.
- 5-alpha-reductase inhibitors: Another medication for BPH, 5-alpha-reductase inhibitors are able to partially shrink the prostate, as well as reduce the risk of acute urinary retention and the need for prostate surgery.
- Surgery: The most invasive approach to treating BPH, surgery is typically reserved for patients with moderate to severe symptoms. Surgical treatment options include transurethral resection of the prostate (TURP), transurethral incision of the prostate (TUIP), and prostatectomy.
Related: 4 Ways to Treat an Enlarged Prostate
Treating BPH With Rezūm Water Vapor Therapy
For years, the primary options for treating benign prostatic hyperplasia were through behavior modifications, medications, or invasive surgery. With Rezūm Water Vapor Therapy, urologists are now able to provide lasting relief for men who do not want to take medication or want to avoid invasive surgery and implants.
During Rezūm Therapy, natural water vapor is released throughout the targeted prostate tissue. When the steam contacts the tissue, it releases energy and kills the excess prostate cells that are putting pressure on the urethra. Over time, the body’s natural healing response removes the dead cells and shrinks the prostate. Once the extra tissue has been removed, the urethra opens — alleviating BPH symptoms, while also preserving erectile and urinary function.
Benefits of Rezūm Water Vapor Therapy
If you’re looking to treat your BPH without medication or painful surgery, then Rezūm Water Vapor Therapy is a viable option to consider. Learn more about the benefits of Rezūm Therapy and how this procedure can provide relief from your BPH symptoms below.
Minimally Invasive Procedure
This minimally invasive procedure treats BPH without surgery and is typically performed right in your urologist’s office during one short appointment. No incisions or general anesthesia are needed to achieve lasting relief, making Rezūm Therapy much less painful than traditional surgeries.
Symptom Relief That Lasts
Many other options simply treat BPH symptoms, but Rezūm Therapy actually treats the source of the issue — your enlarged prostate. Most patients begin to experience noticeable symptom relief after only two weeks, while maximum results can be seen within three months. And because this procedure is minimally invasive, patients will most likely be able to resume normal activities within a few days.
Preserve Sexual Function
Traditional surgical procedures for BPH typically have higher cases of long-term sexual side effects, such as retrograde ejaculation and erectile dysfunction. Unlike surgical BPH treatments, studies have shown that Rezūm Therapy allows men to retain sexual function. Most reported side effects of Rezūm Therapy are mild to moderate in severity, including urinary symptoms such as frequency, urgency, and discomfort.
A Center of Excellence for Rezūm Water Vapor Therapy
Our very own Dr. David Kang has been designated as North Carolina’s first and only Rezūm Center of Excellence. This recognizes his high degree of experience with Rezūm Water Vapor Therapy and commitment to delivering significant, lasting symptom relief to men suffering from BPH.
Here at the Urology Specialists of the Carolinas, we strive to provide the best possible treatment of urological conditions for patients in the Charlotte area. If you are looking for a BPH treatment option that is minimally invasive, preserves sexual function, doesn’t require medications or painful surgery, and provides lasting symptoms relief, then Rezūm Therapy could be right for you.
Contact your nearest USOC location to schedule a visit with our experienced staff and learn more about the benefits of treating your BPH with Rezūm Water Vapor Therapy.